2009/07/01

Lots of stupidity and some bad luck

Two posts on the same day? (Well, technically no, since it’s already past midnight.) Wow, that’s a first! For Taitti, since you asked for more frequent updates. ^^

First of all, I’m sorry. Am I starting to sound like a broken record already? x) I’m sorry for not updating as often as you would like, and I’m sorry for being a loser when it comes to cellphones. I keep missing calls when I’m at home because I a) am on the other side of the house or b) have accidentaly left my phone on silent mode and thus can’t hear the call/text message. I usually remember to check my phone when I’m going to bed and it’s usually too late then to answer missed calls/text messages. So if I’m not answering my phone, it probably doesn’t mean that I’m avoiding you, just that I have once again failed to hear my phone. >-<''

So, about my life. ^^ Last Thursday I decided to prove myself that I really do burn in sun in twenty minutes. Here’s the proof:

JalatAnd that’s four days after I burned my feet. Here’s what happened. I was sitting in our garden with my mom. I swear I sat there for twenty minutes max. and didn’t think anything of it at first. I only noticed how badly my feet had burned when I had been inside for about ten minutes. Suddenly I just felt tingling pain on my feet, as if little ants were biting me or something. So I looked at my feet and this is what I saw! My poor feet have been suffering a lot lately. All of my shoes abrade my feet on different places and it has been a pain to walk for longer distances. I’ve been sunbathing in my swimsuit with socks on my feet. x) Me and shoes really don’t go together all that well. I always go for good looks before comfort. Will I ever learn?

Okay, enough with my hideous feet. We’ll soon get to the bad luck part but before that, there are some happier things to write about. I was in Denmark for the weekend, for my very dear friend Kat’s graduation. The actual party was on Saturday, but we flew to Copenhagen on Friday and had some quality time as a family in Tivoli. Our plan was to go to eat something and possibly try out a few rides while we were there. My sister had never been to Tivoli, even though we have been to Denmark countless times. Well, she didn’t take any rides in the end but in Copenhagen’s Tivoli the rides are not the main point. I would have liked to go to The Demon, the coolest rollercoaster I’ve ever tried (not that I’ve tried so many, but anyway) but I didn’t want to go alone and nobody else seemed interested. My dad would have been interested to ride this year’s new ride, The Flight, but it seemed way too crazy for us and we convinced dad to stay away from it. Dad actually said that he should ride it to prove that he is a tough guy. To me it sounds ridiculous. We told him that he was already a tough duy, no need to risk his guts.

Then, somehow, me and dad ended up doing something I thought I absolutely could’t survive. We rode the world’s tallest carousel. The Star Flyer. My first thought when I saw that thing was something along the lines of: “That’s the one I’ll never try. The scariest thing ever”. I really almost got sick by just looking at it. Seriously, swing carousel has been one of my favourite rides but when it comes to swinging at 80 meters above the ground – you can count me out. I am somewhat afraid of heights and certainly not a daredevil. I can’t understand how I ended up here:

Tivoli2You couldn’t tell how scared we were by looking at this. Well, dad played it cool, so it might be that I was the only one about to faint here. The thought of going up to 80 meters and then start spinning at the pace of 70 km/h in those tiny benches wasn’t the most pleasant one, either.

Tivoli Me and my dad would be the ones inside that red circle. Heading up, scared to death in my case. Dad was giving me a kind advice of not looking down, which I was all too willing to take to my heart. “Look at the horizon and try to focus your eyes on some spot occasionally, so you won’t feel sick.” It wouldn’t have been all that bad if the swings didn’t start to swing so that at times I was facing the ground and at other times all I could see was blue sky. I was so afraid that I would slip out of the swing and fall head first to the ground. Here’s the best pic I could find with the carousel at the highest point.

We made it safely back to the ground, obviously, but I was still shaking for a good ten minutes after we had got off. It turned out that dad had been holding on to the bars for his dear life; the imprints on his palms lasted as long as my shaking. It was scary. Was it worth it? Definitely. How I feel about it now? I’m so proud I could do that. I could conquer my worst fears and didn’t even puke or faint. Would I do it again? Possibly, now that I know I actually can live through something like that. But not too soon. I’m starting to feel dizzy for thinking about it too much.

On Saturday, we went to eat breakfast to Nyhavn and then did some window shopping. The party started at two o’clock and we stayed at Kat’s house afterwards. We slept at hotel and came back on Sunday morning all packed up for our trip back home. Overall we had a great time in Denmark, only the last hour we spent in the country was not so pleasant.

We had arrived to the airport, ready to just drop our bags and head over to do some airport shopping but things didn’t go all that smoothly. The airport was crowded and the line to Finnair’s check-in and baggage drop moved on slowly as a snail. No, the snail would have been faster. In the end, we had to go straight to the gate, no time for shopping or eating. But the real misfortune awaited us in Finland.

When we got to the Helsinki-Vantaa Airport, we didn’t get our luggage. As it turned out, our luggage was lost somewhere at the Copenhagen airport, along with about twenty other people’s. My biggest concern (lol, not really) was that dad had bought me a new OPI nail polish before we left to Denmark, and chances were I might never see it again. Overall I didn’t have anything extremely important in our luggage but some little things I use every day. We had to go shopping for essentials on Monday, since Finnair said they didn’t have any idea of where our bags were. We were all getting very irritated, it’s been long two days. Luckily, my dad got a phone call this evening, saying our luggage was coming with the next flight from CPH, which would land at 0:30 am. We actually got our bags back just now, my parents were already sleeping so I had to wake mom to sign the papers. I’m so relieved!

On a side note, if anyone wants to come to swim, our pool is open! I really enjoyed swimming today, the water nicely warm, around +27°C. When I finally got into the water, after a couple of minutes of consideration, I didn’t want get out. Ah, joy. If the promised heat will be too much for you on Thursday, come to swim! A good advertisement, right? I really wouldn’t mind throwing a pool party for my friends at some point.

Well, since I’ve finally got my hands on OPI Yoga-ta Get This Blue you’ll probably see a swatch of it sometime soon. I’m wearing I’m Not Really A Waitress right now though and I wouldn’t want to take it off! Just my colour…

1 comment:

  1. Olipas pitkiä postauksia, skippailin rivejä ihan väsymystäni. xD Kivaa nähdä sun huonetta ja nöyttääpäs hurjalta tuo karuselli... Hui, onneks en pala ihan noin helposti. (Olin päivän Korkeasaares hihattomalla ilman aurinkorasvaa ja mun olkapäät punertaa vähän.)

    ReplyDelete